Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Family Traditions and Stress


"Its the most wonderful time of the year..." The words of a popular holiday song. Well there are times that I am not so sure about the holiday's being the most wonderful time of the year. I was reminded of all the great family traditions when we participated in our first tradition of the fall/winter season this weekend.


We went to the pumpkin patch with the kids and picked out our pumpkins. In the past I have taken pictures there with them but forgot this year. They had a great time. It's not a fancy patch its one run as a fundraiser for a church in Buda.


Now once that is over we are on a fast track to the holidays. Every year I do everything I can to make sure everyone knows what is going on and no ones feelings get hurt. Now that you are engaged or recently married you are going to have to face this as well.


Please don't get me wrong family is great, but its better to manage every ones expectations before all the stress sets in. My family and my IL's are all in the area so they all think we should get around to see all of them for the holidays. I think we have it all worked out now and it does not bring me stress any longer, but I remember the first couple of years of marriage it was a great source of stress.


With all that said I also thank its important to create your own family traditions. We have quite a few. One is the pumpkin patch every year with the kids. Another is going to look at the flowers in the spring in the hill country. We have traditions on when we decorate or house for Christmas and what goes where and who does what. That is the time that everyone gets a new ornament to add to the tree. Take some time now before its all on top of you and make sure everyone knows that you have plans for the holidays and what they are. I wish I could avoid two thanksgiving day meals but so for that has not happened.

(This photo was taken the first year we took the kids to the pumpkin patch)

No comments: