Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wedding Traditions


My husband pulled up an article on yahoo headlines about wedding traditions that needed to go. I glanced at it. While I try to not be dated in things that I offer my brides and up on the newest traditions, this article was silly.

While I agree the rice should be out (not because we are pelting brides with it) because of the fact that its hazardous to the health of the fine feathered friends in the area. To be honest this has been out for over a decade at least.

The other things for the most part I could take them of leave them. I like the flower and garter tosses myself because its just a riot to see all the single ladies hanging out on the dance floor willing to take out the person next to them for any chance at all at not being single at the next one of these get togethers. Sometimes these are tame and most women are married and in those cases I say just do what you want. As for the garter its the opposite. All the single men are pushed and prodded by their long time girlfriends (who want them to have no excuse for not proposing), or their buddies who are already trapped I mean committed to marriage. That little piece of elastic with some lace around it must have been cursed or something because you should watch the guys scramble AWAY from it. Again I find humor and entertainment in this. At my wedding the garter was going straight to my brother he quickly picked up my little bother (who was seven at the time) and held him up so he could catch it. Not to be nice but because he didn't want it. I have to find that photo its a great shot.

It talked about large wedding parties and matching dresses needing to be out. Well I don't know about this. I like when all the girls line up and match each other. I also like when they all have the same color but a different dress that fits their body style just right. As for the number...I think its a matter of what every bride feels fits them and the location of their wedding. There is nothing wrong with five or six bridesmaids if there is room for them all at the alter. Now if you only have that many because you feel you have to invite every single female relative to stand with you and your best friends from high school on, then we might have a little talk. That talk would be for your sanity nothing else. Bridesmaids are great. Some of them also are more work then you have time for and too many might mean too much work.

I think every ones wedding needs to be just that...Their wedding. The wedding you dream about. Maybe you want a vintage wedding with styles and traditions form the seventies, or a more casual picnic feel in a garden, or something modern and void of all wedding traditions. Those things need to be about you. Its your day, and you can do whatever you want for it.

Oh and if Aunt Mary is sitting at the table shaking her head that she can't believe you did or did not do something. Send one of the groomsmen to force her to dance the Hokey Pokey of Electric Slide get her a drink and not let it ruin your day. At family reunions she most likely wont remember a thing anyway.

No comments: